Unknown to many, dogs love salmon. They are a good source of protein, low in fat and a rich source for Omega 3. Unfortunately, salmon dog treats can be quite expensive, and yet sold in small amounts.
Treats do not need to be expensive to be good. You can easily make them at home. Here’s a salmon dog treats recipe that is both affordable and easy to make. Most of the ingredients may already be in your kitchen, so go ahead and try them out. They’re so good, you’d make them for yourself too.
1 can Salmon, preferably boneless (15 oz)
1 cup Flour (wheat or rice)
1 piece medium-sized egg
1/2 cup Grated Cheese (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F or 177 degrees C. Line the the tray with a cookie sheet. This will prevent the treats from sticking to the pan.
- Sift your flour to remove any lumps. Open the can of salmon into the food processor or blender, complete with its skin and juice. If your dog has a fondness for cheese, go ahead and add it to the blender. If not, you can leave out the cheese.
- On a large bowl, whisk the egg until smooth and without lumps, add the pureed salmon to the the egg. With a mixer or with your clean hands, mix up the dough, gradually adding the flour into the dough. Never dump the flour all in one go, as it might cause the dough to form lumps.
- Flour your counter or a flat surface and roll out the dough, until they are 1/4 of an inch. Cut the dough into strips or use a cookie cutter to cut them up into fun shapes. Put them on the tray, leaving an inch apart from each other.
- Place into the oven for 20 minutes. Turn them over and cook the treats for another 10 minutes.
Once done, take the tray out from the oven and allow to cool completely before serving the treats to your dog or before storin. These treats will last for 7 days in dog treat jars, a month in the fridge or a month inside the freezer. Have fun!